The mission of the Centre for Neuro-Oncology, is to treat patients with tumours of the nervous system, particularly brain tumours, and to play an active role in the research of this field. It is a multidisciplinary team of specialists in the following areas: Neurosurgery, Neurology, Neuro-Oncology, Nuclear Medicine, Radio-Oncology and Neuro-Radiology. These professionals are supported by a palliative care specialist and highly specialised paramedical staff.
- Radio-oncology (Dr. med. G. Pesce, IOSI Radio-Oncology - Clinical Director, Specialist in Medical Oncology, Internal Medicine and Radio-Oncology): the latest generation of accelerators are used, together with high-tech planning and testing methods, which allow high-precision treatments, such as radiotherapy with volume intensity modulation, stereotactic radiotherapy and radiosurgery.
- Neurosurgery (Dr D. Kuhlen, Interim Chief, PD Dr T. Robert, Head of Service, Head of Cranio - Neurocentro, Lugano): highly selective neurosurgical techniques such as intra-operative monitoring, fluorescence and intra-operative CT, endoscopic, percutaneous and micro-invasive surgery, awake-surgery
- Neuro-Radiology (Dr. med. A. Cianfoni - Neurocentro, Lugano): imaging methods such as functional and multiparametric magnetic resonance imaging, with perfusion sequences and spectroscopy. Spinal interventional radiology procedures, such as cementoplasty, kyphoplasty and tumour coblation and thermoablation
- Neurology (Prof. Dr Med. A. Kaelin, Dr. C. Prosperetti): Advanced clinical and electrophysiological and electroencephalographic evaluation techniques, consultation with international reference centres
- Istituto Cantonale di Patologia (Prof. Dr. med. L. Mazzucchelli, Locarno): accurate evaluation of the tumour material, for a correct histological diagnosis, combined with the determination of bio-molecular markers (MGMT, 1p/19q, IDH) essential for the choice of therapy.
- Nuclear Medicine (Prof. Dr. med. L. Giovanella, IIMSI): morpho-metabolic and molecular imaging, such as 18FET-PET/CT and radiometabolic treatments.