Skin cancers are made up of 90% non-melanomas (mainly basal cell and squamous cell cancers) and 10% melanomas.
Non-melanoma skin cancers and melanomas are generally curable by surgical removal. In some cases (most frequently in melanomas) the disease is advanced, either locally (with tumours difficult to operate on and/or with lymph node involvement) and/or with metastases in other organs.
The treatment of these tumours requires a multidisciplinary team of pathologists, dermatologists, surgeons, oncologists and radiation oncologists.
Working group and tumour board for complex skin tumours
Since 2015, a group of medical professionals from different disciplines has been set up within the EOC to discuss and treat cases of patients with complex skin tumours (melanoma and non-melanoma). Patients are discussed in the early phase, when initial therapy is prescribed and following any postoperative therapies, in the advanced phase of disease, including more complex pharmacological therapies.
The group draws on the expertise of the EOC Dermatology Service for dermatological diagnosis, treatment and monitoring, the IMSI for radiological examinations, the Nuclear Medicine Service for sentinel lymph node research and PET/CT diagnostics, the Surgery Service for surgical resection procedures, and the IOSI for oncological and radio-oncological treatments.
The group meets regularly, every Thursday, for interdisciplinary clinical meetings (tumour boards) where cases both diagnosed at the EOC and also cases announced by professionals outside the EOC, are discussed.
The people involved are:
- Dr. C. Mangas, dermatology and medical oncology (responsible and coordinator)
- Dr. B. Cattrini, dermatology (deputy coordinator)
- Dr. C. Mainetti, dermatology
- Dr. V. Spataro, medical oncology
- Dr. ssa. V. Espeli, medical oncology
- Dr. L. Deantonio, radio-oncology
- Dr. G. Pesce, radio-oncology
- Dr. R. Pini, Surgery
- Dr. Harder, Plastic Surgery
- Dr. S. Leoni Parvex, Pathology
- Dr. H. Beltraminelli, dermatology and dermatopathology
- Dr. S. Rizzo, Radiology
- Dr. G. Paone, nuclear medicine
- Dr. M. Cuzzocrea, nuclear medicine