The Oncology Institute of Southern Switzerland (IOSI) is based on the model of integrated cancer centres and includes all oncologic activities which are carried out within the public hospitals of Southern Switzerland. IOSI encompasses 6 divisions: medical oncology, radio-oncology, nuclear medicine (incl. PET-CT unit), haematology, palliative care and research. The IOSI was set up in accordance with the North American model of "Comprehensive Cancer Centre", even if its structure is particular as it is a transversal organisation within the multisite hospital EOC. The IOSI, therefore, has the ambition to represent the model of a clearly organised hospital complex, integrating all the specialties which deal with diagnosis, treatment and research of cancer diseases.
The IOSI guarantees its patients a holistic approach and the possibility of getting the benefit of the most recent cancer research. For its high quality medical care IOSI is recognised both nationally and internationally.
Alessandro Bressan, Director
Prof. Dr.ssa med. Silke Gillessen Sommer, Medical and Scientific Director
Andrea Melpignano, Head of Finance and Controlling Service
Davide Sari, Head of Nursing Service
Simona Minotti Cristiano, Human Resources Manager
Dila Zanetti, Administration and Patient Services Manager
IOSI's management consists of the director, the medical director, the head of the nursing service, the head of finance, the head of human resources and the head of administration and patient services. The Governing Board includes representatives from services or centres of expertise and meets every 3 months. These meetings ensure continuous information to all IOSI staff.
The Oncology Institute of Southern Switzerland collaborates with:
- European School of Oncology (ESO), Milan, Italy, official website
- International Extranodal Lymphoma Study Group, Bellinzona, Switzerland, official website
- Hospice Ticino, Lugano, Switzerland, official website
- Lega Ticinese Contro il Cancro, Bellinzona, Switzerland, official website
- Swiss Group for Clinical Cancer Research (SAKK), Bern, Switzerland, official website
- International Breast Cancer Study Group (IBCSG), Berna, Svizzera, official website
- Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB), Bellinzona, Switzerland, official website
- European Insitute of Oncology (IEO), Milan, Italy, official website
- Istituto Nazionale per lo studio e la cura dei Tumori (INT), Milan, Italy, official webisite
- Institute of Oncology Research (IOR), Bellinzona, Switzerland, official website