Maximal safe tumor resection is the main goal for patients suffering of brain tumors such as brain metastasis or intrinsic brain tumors. Our research thus focusus on developing technologies improving tumor visualization and intraoperative monitoring. The current difficulty in tumor visualization is mainly at the tumor border at its so called tumor infiltation site. Current surgical technqiues don't permit to clearly distinct this zone, reason for which we develop a new microscopic camera intending to image the infiltrating cells on their biomolecular level. This research is performed on the cellular cell culture level, in the animal tumor models and our clinical tumor bank.
Furthermore new external alternating electormagnetic fields are studied on their inpact on tumor growth and death. These studies are and have been supported in the past by different foundations and personal donations (Lega Cancro Ticinese, Gabriele Chariable Foundation, FIDINAM, Fondo di Ricerca Neurochirurgico EOC, e divers industrial partners)
Group leader: Prof. Michael Reinert, MD
In collaboration with:
- Fachhochschule Nordwestschweiz: Prof. Dr. phil. nat. Uwe Pieles;
- Institut für Angewandte Physik: Prof. Dr. phil. nat. Martin Frenz;
- Unversitätsspital Basel: Prof. Dr. med. Luigi Mariani;
- Novocure Matam Center, Haifa: Dr. Moshe Giladi;
- Institut für Pathologie, Universität Bern: Prof. Dr. Erik Vassella.